What is Burning Mouth Syndrome and what are the symptoms?

kaismama 29 Jun 2012

It causes severe burning of your mouth, either gums, tongue, inside of lips, or the whole mouth. The pain gets worse as the day goes on. Dry mouth, increased thirst, loss of taste, or change in taste are the symptoms. There are 2 kinds, primary and secondary. Its not known what causes primary. Secondary can be caused by other conditions or medications or malnutrition. Treatment depends what is causing it if its secondary. There are other things that can be tried. A lozenge-type form of the anticonvulsant medication clonazepam (Klonopin)
Alpha-lipoic acid, a strong antioxidant produced naturally by the body
Oral thrush medications
Certain antidepressants
B vitamins
Cognitive behavioral therapy
Specific oral rinses or mouthwashes
Saliva replacement products
Capsaicin, a pain reliever that comes from chili peppers

madhattersbash 30 Jun 2012

Thank you for your in-depth reply! I just developed this condition within the past few weeks, and had never heard of it before--and my dentist didn't tell me about it--so I didn't know what the heck was going on!
I have been told that it can be brought on my stress.
Mary, the madhatter.