Burning Mouth Syndrome - Has anyone found that bio feedback or acupuncture helps?

Anonymous 7 Apr 2013

You know, I don't know the answer to your question. But, you are the first person who has mentioned their mouth burning besides me. It was awful. I couldn't eat anything remotely hot, it would burn. I thought I has thrash mouth. I was on Abilify and Cymbalta. I think it might have been a side affect of Abilify. I'm not on either one now, but, when I got off Abilify it went away. I now take zoloft. Couldn't afford either of the others. The only thing I remember with cymbalta is that it took my aches and pains away. Which was good. But, was still depressed. Look forward to other answers on this.

allykatford 29 May 2013

Thought I'd share my own experience in hopes of helping others. I too, suffer from burning mouth syndrome. It started about three years ago. I was on a rather high dose of antidepressant (200mg Pristiq) and started taking Adderall to counter-react the tiredness I was experiencing as a side effect of Pristiq. Within six months of Adderall use, I began experiencing the burning mouth and thought I had thrush. My mucosal lining in my mouth actually began to shed and it was quite uncomfortable. After visiting several different specialists, I was diagnosed as having burning mouth syndrome. Although I was told there wasn't any known cause and/or cure, I had hoped discontinuing the use of the Adderall would help. My mucosal lining did quit shedding after discontinuation of Adderall, but the burning mouth did not go away. I continued to have very uncomfortable 'flare-ups' for no apparent reason for the three years following.

allykatford 29 May 2013

Almost forgot, I also tried biofeedback with no results for either depression nor BMS. :(

Anonymous 29 May 2013

I have noticed lately that my tongue has started the burning sensation again. It's not all the time. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's what you have, burning tongue syndrome. I don't think dr's really know. Thank you for all your info. It may be something we just have to deal with.