I breastfeed my 5 month old n I just started takin doxepin last night is my baby going to be ok?

Delila 29 Aug 2012

Hi, you should phone your doctor asap to ask for his advice. You baby will probably be fine but i found the following warning associated with this medication; Doxepin is excreted into human milk in small amounts. Respiratory depression has been reported in one breast-fed infant. The American Academy of Pediatrics classifies doxepin as a drug "whose effect on nursing infants is unknown but may be of concern".

bodybangin420 29 Aug 2012

thank u... i already knew all that tho... and i tried to get in touch with my doctor but i havnt got a call back and also my babies ped... but last night was the first time i took it and i only took it becasue ive only gotta a few hours of sleep in 3 days.. i havnt taken doxepi sence i found out i was pregnant.. i stoped taken everything.. but i needed the sleep i was gettin really erritable... and thats not fare to my baby... so i was just wondering becasue i took one does of 25 mg would it harm her?

Delila 29 Aug 2012

It most likely won't so don't stress too much. Have you tried phoning your local hospital? They won't mind you calling to check.

bodybangin420 29 Aug 2012

no i havnt.. but i know ive called before and was on hold for 40 mins n i am all set with that right now.. im just going to wait for my doctor to call me back thank you very much hun...

DzooBaby 29 Aug 2012

I would be reluctant to take this while breastfeeding but see what your Dr and your childs Dr recommend. this is what I found in literature on the subject:
Distributes into milk; some clinicians recommend that breast-feeding be avoided during doxepin therapy.

Anonymous 29 Aug 2012

I've took this medication while Breastfeeding with the ok from my doctor and my child's doctor and my child was fine, but this was years ago... but my daughter, who gave birth almost a year ago had to take it when my grandson was 6 months old and he was totally breastfed and he was fine, and it was with her pediatrician's ok... but everyone is different so I agree with everyone else... ask your pediatrician to be sure.

bodybangin420 30 Aug 2012

k thanks

Anonymous 30 Aug 2012

ur very welcome... and if you ever have any questions about breastfeeding please ask! I breastfed all 3 of my kids, I am a member of the LaLeche League also, they are a wonderful source for all of your breastfeeding questions and support! Just go to La Leche League International.com they got me through all of my rough times with my first baby!! good luck hon!