I have been taking Duragesic and Actiq for 15 years and now my health insurance company has decided that the medication is only for cancer patients and no longer wants to pay for me to have the medication which has given me the quality of life I did not have before I was given the medicine so as I can live a normal life and not a life of being bedridden or wheel chair bound. This was a medicine that to me was a miracle of life that was taken from me
Hi, I am sorry your insurance company has done this to you, it must be so frustrating for you. I haven't got much else to say apart from, some times if you phone the company who makes this drug, will help arrange to make sure you can still be on this medication and I have heard of people in your situation taking other medications that the company's do this at no cost to the patient's.
It is worth a try, they might even say yes you have nothing to loose by trying to call them. Hope things work out for you and take care, Liz.
Another approach you can take is to contact your appeals and grievences dept of your insurance company and tell them your story. You may need some documantation from your Dr showing that other meds were tried and that this works best for you. See if your Dr will go to bat and write a letter to your insurance company or give them documentation showing this regimen is the best bet for you. Your insurance company may relent and pay for it if you can show them that it is medically necessary in your case. If you can show that taking this medication and only this medication will keep you out of the hospital/ER etc then they may go ahead and pay for it. These forms of Fentanyl are expensive and unfortunately, with most insurance companies, bottom line is to save money so if you can show them that it is a cheaper option for you to continue with this med regimen and it keeps you from needing more expensive care then they will go ahead and pay it. Good Luck and be tenacious and patient when dealing with them!!
I'm sorry u r going through this, as mentioned, first try insurance company and Appeal their decision with documentation from ur dr as 2 why u need it. Next call the maker and explain ur situation. Last resort would b to find something else that helps. Have u considered a Neurostimulator?
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 12 Sep 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 17 Oct 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 1 Dec 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 23 Dec 2012 • 3 answers
Posted 13 Jan 2014 • 2 answers