I'm a 40-year old man who's just over 3-weeks away from his 10-year anniversary to his 2nd wife, never had/never could afford a Honeymoon, and just had family bail me out (financially) AGAIN for my 1st-ever doctor-prescribed drug regimen: Lithium. First let me say: God bless my wife! Now...

For more years than I can remember, I've been incredibly high-strung. Previously, my sister and her children had each been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, Asperger's, etc, so I figured it was something along those lines too. Although a formal diagnosis had been suggested umpteen times over the years, I responded by telling all of my loved ones that I'd survived this long with whatever it was, and didn't need a doctor to label me. As of this post...

I'm also a 20-year veteran in my current line of work. Unfortunately, I grew complacent over the past 4-years, and have simply accepted the fact that my most recent employer hired me at pre-1990 wages at the time - has so little appreciation that I have never received a plug nickel raise - and offers absolutely no benefits either. Now, my wife is 9-years older than me (I married "up" to class and style) and, although we nearly threw everything away just months ago, is also an incredibly patient and understanding person and is (thank God!) still with me. My question...

Is it typical for an otherwise intelligent man to have absolutely no motivation to better his life for himself, the woman he still prays he'll have the chance to grow old with, and her mother (who's also living with us)??? I mean, just hours ago, I took the 1st dose of this new - and potentially forever(?) - "mood stabilizer" that I'd been so against for so many years. As better understanding helps to clear the clouds though, I realize how many other relationships that have come -n- gone were probably at my own hands?

Someone please comment when you've got the time. Thank you!