Since a young age, I have known something about me was off- specifically in regards to my moods, behavior, and overall thought process. My family and friends used to tell me as a joke when I was little that "I was born in outer space" because my moods, actions, behavior and my overall thought process were simply not normal.

I am now 24 years old, and have Major Depression, Anxiety, and ADHD. I take Effexor XR for the depression, Vyvanse for the ADHD, and Ativan and Seroquel for anxiety- specifically panic attacks and sleep anxiety.

Even though I am an adult, there are still parts of me that I don't understand; I.e. what makes me act the way I do in certain situations, why my moods are never stable, (one minute I am happy and the next I am engulfed in a full blown rage and have even become physically violent, or I go into deep states of depression on and off throughout a year) why I engage in high-risk behaviors, why I self-medicate and abuse certain substances for days to weeks at a time, etcetera. I don't know why I act this way. There have been a few people in my life who have suggested that I may or may not have a form of Bipolar Disorder.

Is it possible for a doctor or psychiatrist to diagnose me with Depression, Anxiety, and ADHD instead of a form of Bipolar Disorder? If so, shouldn't they know the difference? What are the early warning signs of bipolar disorder, and what would cause a doctor or psychiatrist to confuse one for the other?