Bi-Polar I woman is on lithium, Lamictal and a bit of Prozac. Could she drop the Lamictal?

WildcatVet 10 days ago

Hi, Marchank! Lithium is the gold standard and only mood stabilizer; Lamictal is an anticonvulsant that can control mood swings in some people. Only her doctor can say why she is on both.
Also, I would be careful with Prozac as antidepressants have been shown to provoke manic and rapid cycling episodes in Bipolar patients. If depression is an issue a Bipolar medication such as Latuda might be better indicated.
Best regards, Wildcat
"Treatment of bipolar disorder with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or venlafaxine (multiple brands) is associated with a significantly increased risk for subsequent diagnoses of manic or bipolar disorder, new research shows."

Porsche_911 9 days ago

Lamictal's major side effect is itchy all over one's body. Lithium has tremendous side effects for all of the bipolar patients I encountered. Have you tried Dekapote?

Best Regards

Dankova 7 days ago

Lithium alone was for me not effective. Now I am taking it in conjunction with Lamictal and Abilify and this keeps me quite stable. I was told that Lamictal works against depressive moods.