I am bi polar and manic I also have hepatitis C. I read this depakote is this safe? Plz help?

lesliehelen 2 May 2013

i have been taking 2500mgs o Depakote for several years now without any problems with the exception of one... weight gain..you didn't mention what other meds you are taking??? hopefully others will have more input on this matter, just wanted to let you know that I haven't really had any problems with it and it has helped me immensely..with abilify, serequel and remeron added on..i have been stable for a while now..
lesliehelen

Jamie 2 May 2013

I also take xanax for panic attacks and anxiety but I'm horrified to take the depakote with me having hepatitis C

lesliehelen 2 May 2013

i am not sure why you are feeling this way about Depakote. is there something that says it will take its toll out with the liver?
please help me understand..lesliehelen

Jamie 2 May 2013

Yes I read it can be fatal on the first dose. Si to be safe I'll call my doctor in the morning... Thank you!, :-)

pickles503 3 May 2013

Hi Jamie. How are you feeling today? I hope your well.

Depakote is an anti-seizure med.

To make sure you can safely take Depakote, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:

liver disease;

a bleeding or blood clotting disorder;

a history of head injury, brain disorder, or coma;

a family history of a urea cycle disorder or infant deaths with unknown cause; or

HIV or CMV (cytomegalovirus) infection

I found this info on drugs.com. If you need more info, do a search on your question on here.
https://www.drugs.com/depakote.html

I've never taken Depakote, but I certainly understand your concerns. I'm just wondering if you've asked your doc. regarding your question. Pharmacist can give you an answer in most cases, but I believe this is a question your doc needs to answer. It's too delicate for me.

bestpup 6 May 2013

To Jamie. From bestpup
Jamie-Depakote is primarily used for three diseases/disorders.
1st depakote is mainly used for several types of seizure disorders.
2nd depakote is also used as a mood stabilizer.
3rd depakote is also used to control migraines.
Keep in mind depakote's primary side effect is weight gain. Also, depakote comes in ER (extended release) pills.
Best of health.
bestpup

annette 6 May 2013

Unfortunately almost all medications affect the liver. It's a question of how bad you need the medication.

sugarplmfairy 13 May 2013

I was on depakote for years and then abt 6 years ago I was told my liver enzymes were slightly elevated and the drs told me it was because of the Depakote.Now about 3 weeks ago I was told that my antibodies for HepC are slightly elevated and I am waiting on results of another blood test.