What is the best substitute for Paxil 40mg out of fluoxtine, olanzapine, Celaxa, or Dilantin?

sapphire2011 5 Mar 2017

Out of those only 2 are the same type of medication so I'd say one of them based only on the limited info you provided.
Sapphire

WildcatVet 5 Mar 2017

Hi, tazwil! Only Prozac and Celexa are antidepressants/anxiolytics. Zyprexa is an anti-psychotic and Dilantin is an anti-convulsant.
Sapphire is correct ~ you need to stay with the same classification of medication under a doctor's orders.
Best regards, Wildcat

HPoole 6 Mar 2017

It really depends on what your expectations are with the meds? Do you have insomnia? Do you have a mood disorder? Personally, Celexa and Lexapro are cousins and neither worked for my severe anxiety and depression. I had negative side effects. Now I can educate you on fluoxetine and olanzapine because I happen to be on them both. Brand names are Prozac and Zyprexa. They are prescribed together, mainly for very resistant depression. They make up one med called Symbyax. However my psychiatrist prescribed them separately to me because the Symbyax is just way too expensive for most health care insurances to cover. Plus it gives me the freedom to take thr prozac in the morning and the Zyprexa at night, which makes me sleep like a well- rested baby. You may want to make a few suggestions to your doctor.

maleRNchad 6 Mar 2017

Prozac/fluoxetine by far. Works well, it's cheap, and there is no need to taper off due to its own long half life; it basically self tapers and you can stop taking it fairly abruptly. I have been there and done it. Paxil sucks. I used Prozac 10 mg to cross taper off of Paxil 40 mg in less than two weeks.

Chad, RN