What is the best pain medicine for chronic lower back pain?

Anonymous 31 Dec 2012

Hello mikierivers28. Depending on how severe the pain, I suggest Tramadol. Regards pledge

Anonymous 31 Dec 2012

Welcome to the site.

Examples of narcotics include:

Codeine
Fentanyl (Duragesic) -- available as a patch:
Meperidine (Demerol)
Morphine (MS Contin)
Oxycodone (Oxycontin, Percocet, Percodan)
Tramadol (Ultram)

Muscle relaxants

Carisoprodol (Soma) -- may be more addictive than others
Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)
Diazepam (Valium-belongs to the drug class of benzodiazepines)
Methocarbamol (Robaxin)

Antidepressants most often used for back pain are:

Amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
Amoxapine (Asendin)
Desipramine (Norpramin)
Doxepin (Sinequan)
Imipramine (Tofranil)
Maprotiline (Ludiomil)
Nortriptyline (Pamelor, Aventyl)

Click on the links:

https://www.drugs.com/enc/low-back-pain-chronic.html

Anonymous 31 Dec 2012

All the information is so you are well informed in order to talk to your DR. about benefits, risks, interactions and potential side effects of the medications.

coldman 10 Feb 2013

just want to say a lot of these meds will help(especially soma), but good luck finding a dr that will prescribe what u really need. i havent had any success.im lucky i get vicadin,soma and lorazepam helps a lot(anti-anxiety)calms me down and keeps muscles less tense,have lower back problems, lg herniation(t7-t8)and 3 neck surgeries(3 metal discs.

balbanese 31 Dec 2012

It's different for everyone. First thing to look at is the cause of the pain, meds may not be the answer and shouldn't be considered unless we're talking significant damage. Age is also a factor. So an accurate diagnosis is the first thing before pain meds are considered. There is no "best" except what you & your Dr. decide is 1. Needed and 2. Works best for you. Hope this helps.

meyati 1 Jan 2013

Have you considered a tens unit? My son uses that in conjunction with pain killer. He has a transmitter that has 4 electrodes with sticky patches. I put them on where his back was injured. He pushes a button and it helps to kill the pain. It helps to keep him more alert. He's a 100% disabled vet-so he had serious trauma-back surgeries, etc. Also acupuncture helps him. This way, he can still drive himself around about 80% of the time.

AquariusAnneCA 1 Jan 2013

I am on Tramadol and have had excruciating pain for 9 days now... Christmas cooking, etc. did me in, I guess! Went to my ortho doc and he took xrays of left knee, both hips and my back and could not find anything so assumes it is a pinched nerve in my back. He suggested an injection from the back doctor but I refused... the tramadol does not seem to help that much and I am extremely sensitive to most medications. My butt hurts, groin hurts, knee where prosthesis hurts and lower back hurts! Horrible pain. Will call the doctor again to see if there is something else I can take. Oh he ordered the ice packs which I did... no help. Also physical therapy. Does anyone have an inkling as to what to get to get rid of this horrible pain? Hope yours gets better and let me know what helped okay?
AquauriusAnneCA

candyr 1 Jan 2013

i have 5 slipped disk and 2 cracked verabrea i also have cancer and lupus i have been on all the norcatics that where mentioned your best bet is to get use to the pain as you do taper off pain meds as low as you can i'm on hydrocodone 10/650 and somas at this time the morphin patch won't help nothing really does but electric shock therapy and physical therapy

bloggermom 9 Jan 2013

Anne, could you please copy and post this as a question--that way it will receive the attention it deserves. Please post in this group (back pain). I want to add you as a "friend" also so that I can keep track of how you are doing.