What is the best medication for OCD?

Many prescribers are comfortable choosing one of the selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Celexa, Zoloft, and Lexapro. They are primarily indicated to treat depression, but their use in treating OCD is now pretty common. Side-effects include drowsiness, impotence, and dry mouth. They usually take several weeks before any noticeable therapeutic effect occurs, and there is no evidence to recommend their long-term use for OCD.

plusku 30 May 2014

Has anyone had any experience with the older drug Anafranil? My doc is switching me from Tofranil to it this week due to a returning onset of Pure O

Anonymous 29 Jun 2014

Dear Pluska,

Anafranil (clomipramine) is the best single OCD medication I have ever taken. I take 250 mg of Anafranil daily (at night, since Anafranil can induce insomnia). My hand -washing rituals are much less severe now. I also count numbers; and this OCD trait is gradually diminishing. If I may make a friendly suggestion, you might consider talking to you doctor; and he/she can help you then. (At least, that is what I thing & feel).

Sincerely,

--- John.

Sincerely,

--- John K.

plusku 29 Jun 2014

Thanks John! Appreciate your comment :)