What is the best medication for anxiousness/panic attacks?

LaurieShay 22 Oct 2012

There are several categories of treatment to help with anxiousness and panic attacks. Medications such as an SSRI or SNRI type antidepressants like Paxil, Zoloft or Effexor are probably the best. Another type medication is the bensodiazepines such as Klonopin or Xanax. Lastly, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is also very effective in helping some with there anxiety. Learning to retrain the mind, understanding ones triggers of anxiety, and developing positive coping skills is essential to overcoming this illness.

MacIntosh12 22 Oct 2012

Hi bakerwoman, in this girl's opinion, something like Xanax or Ativan are the best, IF only used short term. But Laurie has provided you with the best list of possible medications.
Benzodiazapines (Xanax, Ativan, Valium) are for short term use, but they most certainly work great.
Hope you feel better soon and those horrid panic attacks stop.
Mac

pickles503 23 Oct 2012

Hi Baker. How are you today?.
For me, the best combination I've found in my OLD, and I mean OLD life, is Klonopin and Gabapentin. I wouldn't change unless I had to. I also take Lamictal as a mood stabilizer and pain reliever.
What is being prescribed to you now? O, shoot! This is a direct question, so I won't get an answer on that one, unless you've added me as a friend. Then you can send me a private question.(not that I'll have any answers, but maybe we can just chat. Maybe you can help me with my insanity.)
Anywhooo, I pray you find the right med/meds that are effective for you. As you probably already know, it can take awhile.
God bless you, my Dear friend,
Anna

angel1662 23 Oct 2012

Hello bakerwoman,
My advice in my opinion is to talk to the doctor, there are alot of antidepressants that help with anxiety/panic as well as depression..good luck

bumblebee90 23 Oct 2012

Hello bakerwoman, I am here to give you only my opinion. I beleive different people suffer from anxiety/pannick attacks for different reasons, but whatever the reason, what's caused the anxiety and panick is very real for the person experiencing it. No matter it be. It's just as real to one person as the other. Mine really started when I was 21 and suddenly lost my mother. She was also my best friend. So in a way I lost two kinds of her. My anxiety and panick attacks were unbearable. They put me on Klonopin. It helped me get through one of the toughest times of my life. I would definately reccomend it. I've been off and on it for years. I'm currently taking it for anxiety, because my son is going to jail this month. I wouldn't know how to handle it without it's help. I truly hope you decide on the right one for you, and may you find some peace and happiness in you're life. Take care, and God Bless. Ruthie

Anonymous 25 Oct 2012

Hi bakerwoman, and welcome. In answer to your question I would ask you first, do you want to cover up a problem, or do you want to cure the problem? If you truly want to CURE the problem, I would learn how to meditate, or self hypnosis, or yoga. Whichever one floats your boat. If you choose to take medications for anti anxiety, you are starting down a road, that will never end. Then also you are dealing with side effects, and then medications to take for other side effects, and you end up on a never ending roller coaster. If you teach your body how to react to a visceral reaction, then you will never need medication. Most people who start the antidepressants and the anti anxiety medications are on them for life. There are very few people who can stop them, once started. That is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. Best wishes to you!