What is the best drug for anxiety?

Anonymous 26 Jul 2013

Hello dishan7775. It will vary, depending on the type of anxiety. Example, panic attacks or general anxiety disorder. Panic attack one might use a benzodiazepine such as Xanax. GAD one might use Zoloft or Paxil. Regards pledge

kcfp 26 Jul 2013

There are so many variables to this question and it would require some time and effort before a solution to your question can be dealt with effectively. Essentially you have to remember that no one person is the same and what works for one may not suit the other person. Basically there is no one size fits all. There are benzodiapines to treat anxiety and the SSRI's also. There are also cases where other drugs are used off label to mitigate the issue you are facing. Thank you.

Delila 26 Jul 2013

Hi, welcome to the site! As the guys have said, there are many options available... Have you seen a psychiatrist or doctor for help/advice about this? This would be your best port of call, they should be able to prescribe the right medication for you, after assessing you and having knowledge of you medical history etc. Benzodiazepines are commonly prescribed, but be aware that these are highly addictive. They should ideally be used as a short course or only now & then, not as a regular daily dose. Personally i take Pregabalin for GAD, and i've got on with them really well.

Melissa3366 29 Jul 2013

I can only give my personal opinion from my own experience... my general anxiety has been "sort of" helped with Effexor XR. For panic attacks, I take Xanax 0.5mgs.