What the best dosage of lexapro to help panic disorder? How long do I have to be on it?

LaurieShay 3 Mar 2012

Lexapro is prescribed at 10 or 20 mgs. The length of time to be on it depends on how much effort you put into developing the skills to control your panic and learning your triggers. The medication is only useful while taking it. It doesn't heal the problem. Only you can do that through retraining your mind. Lexapro can help, but isn't a short term cure.

sunnyoutlook 25 Apr 2013

I started on 10 mg of lex in January of 2012 for severe anxiety, panic disorder with mild depression. As of April 2013 I am now at 40 mg of lex and finally have the anxiety under control with few panic attacks which are also mild when they happen. I still have some bad days but can function normally most of the time. SSRIs can take time to work and it may take time to find the right strength. Some people tend to jump from one to another without giving a good drug enough time to really make a difference. If you have had anxiety over years that has worsened over time like I did it may take over a year to get it under control. I tried Zoloft in the beginning and had way too many side effects to went to lexapro. It has been a long process but I finally have a more normal life. I was non functional before I got on this drug.