Which is the better benzo to take for chronic back pain?

LaurieShay 24 Oct 2013

Benzo's as a general rule are not for chronic pain, but rather for anxiety and sleep, as well as seizures. The only benzo that comes to mind that maybe helpful is Valium which is sometimes prescribed for muscle spasms which can cause pain.

HeadStarter 24 Oct 2013

Hello Alabama and welcome to DC... I hope you can get to a pain specialist who is preferably an anesthesiologist. They are going to want x-rays, a diagnosis and usually a referral from a treating doctor. If you have a doctor already... let that doctor know that whatever you are taking isn't working. They usually won't go from recommending the basics first to major drugs without trying everything in between first. WHY??? Insurance companies have their standards and won't cover like top of the line, brand name drugs if the lower end generics in their formularies haven't been tried first.

It always seems to be an uphill battle when it comes to pain and treatment.

I wish you well and hope you find the right treatment that works for you.

Mary

Alabamagirl1972 25 Oct 2013

Thanks Mary! I have been going to a Pain Mngt doctor for over a year. I've had X-rays, an MRI and CT. I've been diagnosed with Adult Scoliosis, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Lumbar and Cervical Spondylosis, Cervical Kyphosis, herniated discs, pinched nerves, nerve damage and to top it all off, my spine is collapsing... I have lost 4 1/2 inches. I just turned 40 so I'm starting to believe the old saying about falling apart at 40! LOL

For pain, I currently wear a Duresegic Patch (25mcg), take Oxycodone 10mg TID as well as Baclofen 10mg TID. I also take Klonopin 1mg TID for anxiety and sleep. However, I read an article that Benzo's can be taken to help with pain. I was just wondering if a different Benzo would help my pain as well as help with anxiety and sleep. I think I have pretty much tried EVERY drug during the last 18 months. I know our bodies can get immuned to drugs after taking them over a period of time. Just curious if changing Benzo's would help. Just grasping at straws! Thanks for your thoughts and comments.