Just began trazadone 50 mg for sleep. Took 3.5 hrs to fall asleep and slept lightly. Is this normal?

pamee 1 Feb 2014

50mg is a low dose. I take up to 300mg. For some folks trazodone can take up to 3 hrs to work while other folks say they fall asleep within an hour. Let your prescribing doctor know as he may want to increase your dose.

pamee 1 Feb 2014

Are you taking it for sleep, or depression or both?

kikiblue 1 Feb 2014

Thanks. Yea, i was expecting to be asleep within an hour. Was really disappointed. Especially after sleeping so lightly after going to sleep. Will let doctor know Monday.

pamee 1 Feb 2014

I hope it works well for you. Good luck!

Packard2046 2 Feb 2014

I was on trazadone a few years back it took 200mg to finally put me to sleep. Since you are also taking it for depression you may also want to ask your DR. about doxepin it is more sedating than Trazadone and generally takes effect within 1 hour on most people. Best of luck to you.

kikiblue 3 Feb 2014

I increased dosage to 100 last night. It made me a lil sleepy but when i tried to go to sleep i was wide awake with my mind racing. Thanks for ur advice.

kikiblue 3 Feb 2014

SphereR 2 Feb 2014

Just started taking this for insomnia it's hard for pills to knock me out so I was very skeptical when reading reviews, but wanted to stop taking Ativan so I gave it a try. I don't understand how can people be knocked out on this medicine or groggy doesn't do anything for me took 100mg too. Honestly the only pill that has knocked me out completely for hours was Seroquel but that's an antipsychotic. Back to using Ativan for me it seems.

kikiblue 2 Feb 2014

Yea tried again last night along with otc sleep aide. Finally went to sleep hours later but got woken up by phone call. Then it took another 3 hours to fall back asleep. Miserable night! Woke up this morning with headache. Just not happy at moment! Trazadone doesnt make me groggy either.

pamee 3 Feb 2014

Hi kikiblue, I believe you need a higher dose between 150-200mg at bedtime. Talk to your doctor about it. I do hope you find good sleep soon.