When the formula for the oxycontin was changed I began to have some side effects, Is this common? why was the formula changed in the first place? And is there something i can ask my doctor for that would give the same extended relief without the side effects?
Many people have complained about side effects from the new formula Oxycontin. They changed the formula so that it could not be crushed by addicts and snorted or dissolved. I made suggestions of medicines on your other question that you may be able to get your doctor to prescribe.
I was in the doctor's office one day she was about to make a change in my pain medication she just remarked the Oxycontin was not a drug that she would consider that she had several patients on this and the #1 complaint that she heard was that this medication was not as effective as it use to be, she said they had reformulated the drug and taken an ingredient out to reduce it's ability for some patients to use it and get "high", there are so many medicines out there that are long acting maybe your doctor may be able to suggest a medication that is both long acting and also effective, I wish you the best of luck!
Dont even get me started on the changing of the OxyContin formula lol-those of you on here that know me know of my struggles! This medicine does NOT work nearly as well as it used to. I did do a trial of MSContin but I found out that the OxyContin is still a better drug for me. I truly think my Dr was a little too conservative when she made the dose adjustment between the two but I have to do some traveling and dont have the time to keep trying to play with the doses. After the summer is over I am going to try to see if we cant find a better option than what I've tried. What they did to the OxyContin formula is they changed the time release mechanism and coating. They did this to make the pill very hard to crush and even when crushed the pieces keep some of their time release mechanism.
They also made it so if you try to put it in water for injecting or snort it, as soon as it hits liquid it turns to gel making it impossible to inject and it also gums up when it hits the moisture in the nasal passages and doesnt absorb so people cant abuse it in this manner any longer. The thing that has bothered most of us long time users is that the old formula released 40% of the medication immediately and the rest of the 60% over the next twelve hours. The new formula is ALL timed release. There is no immediate release component to it at all. That is why it feels like it takes longer to work. It is seeping into your system much slower than before. It is on an FDA watch list now, however, because of that gelling action has caused some people to choke. If they dont swallow it all the way, it can gum up in the esophagus and cause choking. I have noticed my doses sometimes feel like they are sticking in my throat. It is like it is glued and no amount of water will get it down once it is stuck. So that is the deal!
- OxyContin Information for Consumers
- OxyContin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of OxyContin (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 21 Feb 2010 • 3 answers
Posted 6 Oct 2011 • 3 answers
Posted 12 Oct 2012 • 2 answers
Posted 13 Feb 2014 • 3 answers
Posted 6 Oct 2015 • 0 answers