Skip to Content

I have back spasms what exercises should I do for this, doctor said I have degenerative disease?

Answers (2)

26 Apr 2013

General strengthening exercises would help, massage is great and a muscle relaxer would help. Heat, including the thermoguard type patches and salon pas patches help. Perhaps your doctor could refer you for physical therapy. I'd check with him before doing any exercises anyway.

26 Apr 2013

I suspect that your doctor diagnosed you with degenerative disc disease. People have wildly varying degrees of symptoms with this, from no pain or symptoms at all, to severe pain and other symptoms. It all depends on the individual. I suggest you look into doing physical therapy, at least a couple sessions, so they can teach you specific back exercises that specifically help your spine. Also, you can try going to a chiropractor for physical manipulation of the spine, for spinal decompression, and/or therapeutic massage. Of course, just like anything else, you'll want to discuss these options with your primary care physician, and/or the doctor who diagnosed this. And you might have to discuss this with your doctor anyway, if your health insurance (if you have it) requires referral from your PCP to see a specialist.

jeanine809 26 Apr 2013

Thank you so much for your advise, Yes my doctor diagnosed me with degenerative disc disease and has referred me to a physical therapist I'm just worried because I'm only 50 and I worried about how it's going to be as I get older and I want to do what ever I can to help myself now.

PoisonAlice 26 Apr 2013

You're welcome :) You definitely want to start taking care of it as soon as you get the diagnoses. Mine started at 22 when I had an accident which caused a back injury, which in turn caused degenerative disc disease, now I have blown discs up and down my spine, and a new one blows once every few years or so. But I was also told for the first 5 or so years that it was all just a muscle injury and due to my weight and I was refused MRIs for those years, so when I could've taken care of it early on, in the first year or two, had they taken my complaints seriously and given me a scan of my spine early, they let my back go and go for years until it got to a serious state where I'm not even a candidate for a disc fusion.

kaismama 26 Apr 2013

Chiropracters make me nervous. Messing with an already damaged spine.

Search for questions

Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.

Similar Questions

Anyone have chronic degenerative lumbar(disc) disease and get spasms in lower back?

I take neurontin along with soma, vicodin, and naprosin for it. Every once in a while I get this muscle spasm right up my lower back that makes me ...

1 answer 20 Sep 2010

Best Ab firming exercises?

With a history of lower back pain I am looking for 'at home' exercises that work to firm the abs without hurting or putting pressure on the ...

1 answer 4 Aug 2011

Right now I'm taking 1 or 2 Lorcet Plus a day for degenerative disk disease. How long can I expect?

How long can I expect the dose of one or two Lorcet Plus a day to work for my degenerative disk disease? The problem disks are the L4 and 5 located ...

1 answer 12 Apr 2012

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy- how much can I exercise?

I Took the echo stress test and the doctor told me that everything was working normally. before i was diagnosed i would exercise a lot... running 5 ...

2 answers 4 Apr 2013

Lower back muscle spasms?

Hi... I'm new here, and so glad I found this support group. I am 50 and have had severe back issues since I was 30, with it gradually getting ...

2 answers 15 Jun 2013