Back Pain - is there a time release pain releiver that a person can take every 12 hours ?

snoopytann 10 Mar 2012

The only narcotic I have taken every 12hrs is Opana ER (extended release). There are also Phenyl patches that last for 3 days. May I ask why you were prescribed these medications? Good luck!

-Lisa

Anonymous 10 Mar 2012

Knight62, there are several options available for ER meds,(extended release). You can take MS Contin, Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch & a few more. You need to discuss this with your Pain Mangement doctor... Mary

arcanoidcyst16 10 Mar 2012

Oxycodone Controlled-Release,Opana ER,Morphine Sulfate ER those are all at least 8 hours I am not sure it could be longer use the pill identifer or contact a healthcare professional to find at more assuming you are on an extended release narcotic pain medication.lol

Fibro5077 10 Mar 2012

Hi Knight1962,
I also have taken Opana ER and it worked very well. It is a timed release pain reliever, every 12 hrs. There are many short term pain relievers that are very good though. What is your specific situation or need? Doesn't a short term, like every 6-8 hour med help you? I can think of several of them..I can tell you in my situation though, I had to stop getting Opana after just one month because of it's cost. Even with insurance, it is a very expensive drug. I have Methadone, Vicodin, and Dilaudid and they all work very well and I have severe back problems. Dilaudid is a good pain reliever.
Best wishes to you.
Karen

arcanoidcyst16 10 Mar 2012

Hi fibro I am also taking oxycodone 10mg and vicodin for breakthrough pain do you think that I would benefit better from extended release oxycodone?I have chronic lower back pain.

Anonymous 10 Mar 2012

Hey, ararcnoid, I think you would. I don't do it because I can funtion better with just the oxycodone alone. I can drive or shop or whatever gritting my teeth with the pain, & then get home & take a dose & lay on the heating pad for awhile. Ask for a little sronge one liike the 14 or 20's... mary

BUFFYPORTER1 10 Mar 2012

Yes it is naproxin in combo with arthritis strength tylenol. It works for me and I have had 5 foot surgeries in the last 14 months.