Can ativan be taken with xanax?

This question has also been asked and answered here: Ativan vs Xanax - What is the difference?

kaismama 3 Mar 2013

If they are both prescribed for you. Since they are the same type of medication, its not usually prescribed to use both at the same time.

auntniknik 3 Mar 2013

I wouldn't think so since they are used for the same thing. I have never taken Ativan, so I am speaking as a patient. I would be afraid to try since they both relax your breatheing! It you change from one to the other you should probably start it the next morning.

happybrandee 3 Mar 2013

I am not a nurse, doctor , or a pharmacist, but I have taken both meds at different times and I know what they are used for and what they do and i would imagine that you shouldn't take them at the same time because you can get over sedated they both tend to make you sleepy.
Hope this helps!

pamee 5 Mar 2013

Hello bababob,

No they should not be taken at the same time. Actually you should decide which one you want and stay with it, but please do not take both.

Best to you ... pamee