Do aspirin and nsaids prevent cancer in barrett's esophagus? if so what dose is recommended?

kaismama 15 Jul 2013

Every once in a while we hear there is evidence that they are preventing one cancer or another. Its just people grasping at straws because they want it to be so. When my bf was being treated for colon cancer they came out with the aspirin helps prevent colon cancer. My bf took aspirin every day for about the previous 10 yrs.

kathyhanson 15 Jul 2013

gershovitz,
Absolutely not! NSAIDS and aspirin are the worst things you can take because they are very hard on the GI tract and can increase the chances of developing a bleed. As you know, but for the benefit of other members, Barretts Esophagus is caused by damage to the esophagus from acid reflux. It causes dysplasia of the cells lining the esophagus and changes the surface tissue to look very similar to the stomach lining from constant reflux of stomach acid.

IF you need to take a pain reliever, stick to acetaminophen. Your doctor should have prescribed meds for you to reduce the acid in your stomach. Take them as prescribed. Stay away from acidic and spicy foods --- citrus, soda pop, and foods with vinegar in them, pizza, curry, just to name a few. With proper treatment and a change in your diet, you can prevent esophageal cancer, but cannot cure the Barretts. That damage is already done. I suggest that you ask to see a dietician to help you choose a food plan that will benefit you rather than cause more damage. And, of course, stay away from alcohol and tobacco. Very bad for you. I hope this helps.
Kathy