Aspirin/Caffeine/Propoxyphene - I thought they quit making this medication?

kaismama 16 Aug 2012

Apparently not. Its certainly not the best pain med to take tho.

missykay2040 16 Aug 2012

What do u mean? I tht darvon compound 65 wasn't available anymore it used to work great for my grandmas back pain???

kaismama 16 Aug 2012

Darvon was found to be highly addictive and wasn't all that great for pain. I checked another reference and you're right, they no longer are available in the us. There has to be something else that will help her.

missykay2040 16 Aug 2012

Ty well they've tried norco but she said it makes her stomach hurt and she gets ill every 4 hours or so when it wears off they r trying pain breakthrough now w dilaudid and percocet. I told her I tht breakthrough was for around the clock pain management tho and both of those only last 4 hours ... from what I understand ??? She just doesn't feel well or seem like herself ...

DzooBaby 16 Aug 2012

When they use the term "breakthrough pain" or "breakthrough medication" they are usually referring to a short acting medication that is used between a long acting medication. The pain is mainly controlled by a round the clock long acting medication but doses of short acting medication may be used for when pain "breaks through" Between Dilaudid and Percocet. It is a little strange, in her case, because they are both short acting meds unless they are using Exalgo form of hydromorphone (or Dilaudid). The only thing I can figure is that they want her to use the Dilaudid for worse pain and percocet for lesser pain. You are right though. Usually breakthrough is a term used when speaking of an around the clock regimen. She may feel better taking it around the clock to keep ahead of the pain rather than waiting until the pain is really bad to take it, unless this leaves her too sedated, which it might.

DzooBaby 16 Aug 2012

Actually, they didnt take propoxyphene off the market because it was addictive. It is no more or less addictive than many other meds still on the market-probably less addictive than quite a few still onthe market- but it was removed because of cardiac effects. It was found to have profound effects on the heart and in some cases could be fatal so it was taken off the US market. There were many, many people who were well controlled on this medication who were left high and dry when they took it off the market because there is really nothing else that is quite the same. Some people have been able to find good relief swithching to Tramadol. some have used hydrocodone. I have even heard of some using fiorinal in its place for pain because Fiorinal is aspirin, caffeine and butalbital. It may take a bit of trial and error for her to find something that works. What they have her on now is a great deal stronger than Darvon compound and that may be what is making her feel so ill. It may just be too much drug for her system. She may even want to see about going back to using NSAIDS unless she has a reason to contraindicate them, like stomach ulcers. Propoxyphene has about the same analgesic equivelency of aspirin. It is not very strong at all and that why a lot of Drs liked it. Perhaps something like Excedrin Back and Body may work better for her than the heavier opioids.