Are you able to have a normal routine (work, college/school, family) while on Topamax?

rebelrat 16 Dec 2009

I take Topamax for fibromyalgia, and am able to maintain a pretty "normal" routine: I work 40 hours a week, and occasionally pull some overtime or do some freelance work on the side. My limitations are caused more by my fibromyalgia than the medication.

I did struggle some with conducting a normal routine when I first began titrating up on Topamax (mostly the drowsiness), but now I'm used to it and I have little tricks I use to combat the side effects I experience so I can do what I need to with little interference from the medication.

Smartchick73 16 Dec 2009

Yes. I am a full-time chemist, wife and mom. I take 200 mg / day of Topamax (100 mg in AM, 100 mg in PM) I have been taking Topamax since March of this year and I have been on this dosage since about the end of May (scale up). Initially, I had some issues with side effects, especially short term memory, but things are much better now. I have never had to discontinue my "normal" routine due to this medication.