Anyone with hot flashes after an orchiectomy using gabap 300mg. how long did it take to help?/?

Quincy17 5 May 2011

Hi Will,
I'm having a problem understanding your Rx'ed Gabapentin dosage level, is it one 300 mg Gaba p/day? Did your Onc. or your Urol. just give you this Rx or were you put on a titration schedule? According to my well thumbed "Davis' Drug Guide for Nurses (5th ed.)" p. 524, the standard regimine for Gaba. is 300 mg on 1st day, 300 mg twice a day on the 2nd day, 300 mg 3 times daily on the 3rd day. Rapid titration may be continued until desired effect is obtained. Usual dose range is 900-1800 mg/day in 3 divided doses. Now this regimen is for a subject that suffers from Chronic Pain, which, if you feel as lousy as I do after 4.5 years of LUPRON, is probably what you are being treated for. Please let me know if you were allowed to titrate . . . as it is, it seems like your Doc is just throwing neurontin at your pain symptoms with no regard for it's recommended beginning usage regimen, titration.. At present my Onc. says that I've got a good 2 years before Chemo or the rest of the procedures. Looking forward to hearing from you . . . Quincy

will.sr 5 May 2011

quincy17,should have made myself more clear. two fingers hittin the keys and sometimes i keep things short. am currently on 1, 300mg 3 times a day. took a week to get there. at first i tied a string to one and tried to take it 3 times. just kiddin. missin discs in lumbar to sacrum ,pain. sever arthritis lower back., more pain. the neurontin seems to help a bit. am going to call doc and see if increase would help?

Quincy17 5 May 2011

Hi Will,
Thanks for answering so quickly . . . I've been on this site for a year now and this is my 1st conversation. I would very much like to talk with you in depth about Metastatic Prostate Cancer as you are the only e-person that I have found (in 3 years of trying) that even comes close to what I am suffering. I already wrote you a nice detailed reply but, as is all too usual for me, I sent it off into the ether. My main concern is how you are being treated for your pain. Gaba/Neurontin has proven itself to be ineffective (To say the least!) in relieving my Chronic Pain (CP) as well as my wife's CP due to DD between T12 and L1 and a whole lot more. I would like to know more about how you are coping with your pain and I would also like to run my current Rxs by you. Hope to hear from you soon . . . Quincy17