Has anyone been treated for Hidradenitis Suppurativa ?

Emeraldgirl 29 Apr 2014

Hello nanashuck10 and a warm welcome to DC - I have not got HS but I have come across it a few times when I was an RN. Hopefully someone with the condition will respond to your question. HS ranges from mild to severe. It is not necessarily progressive. I am sorry to hear that you have this painful condition for which sadly there is no cure and can occur in families. It also requires constant management by a Dermatologist. Some of the lumps (abscess) either goes away on their own or ruptures and ooze pus. This lump may return time and time again and may become infected with bacteria, causing a secondary infection that will require antibiotics to treat it. New lumps appear in an area nearby if these are not controlled with medication; large lumps may form and spread developing sinus tracts which are narrow channels under the skin that open up at the skin surface and leak pus. HS can be difficult to manage.

nanashuck10 29 Apr 2014

It has taken a long time to get this diagnosis as I was so ashamed of this..it has been painful... I am a 59 year old woman and have been on different antibiotics so far no luck..my family doctor referred me to a surgeon who debreed my right armpit not quite 8 weeks ago... so far I am fighting to get treatment as i have medicare and medicaid ... I have an appt with dermatologist in may ...

Emeraldgirl 29 Apr 2014

Hello again. Sorry to learn that you have been affected by this for some time now. This condition is not infectious and it is not caused by an infection nor poor hygiene, so please do not feel ashamed. It is thought that it may be an immune system problem. Thankfully May is just around the corner now and a Dermatologist should be able to advice on the best treatment for you. There is a wide range of treatments one can try and a Dermatologist is the right health care professional to advice and treat you.

Racyac 5 Oct 2017

I have been diagnosed in the last year but I've had for about 10 years but didn't know what it was. My doctor prescribed me Doxycycline that I take once a day. I have seen a large improvement with this. If I even miss one dose the boils swell back up and become painful. My doctor has also recommended hibiclens that is a really strong antibacterial liquid cleaner. I had already had some when my doctor recommended it because I was required to wash with it before a surgery. I also make sure I wear soft breathable underwear/clothes so not to aggravate the area.

ildoug05 8 Nov 2018

Yes I have been treated with a treatment that didn’t work. I found a treatment of my own and have been free of Hidradenitis Suppurativa for two years now I take turmeric. After taking it for and making a paste of it and applying it to the area it cleared up. I take turmeric pills everyday and no more problems

MeggieGirl 8 Nov 2018

I have also heard about the benefits of turmeric. I went into remission through hormone therapy. We made sure that I never got my period, because that's when I would most often have a flare. So I skip the placebo pills always. This occasionally (every year, year and a half) leads to unexpected light breakthrough bleeding that lasts two to four days, but it's tolerable. I had it for ten years before I was diagnosed, which seems to be the average among the world population. It took another eight years or so before we discovered the hormone therapy solution, and that was by accident. I just happened to be looking for a birth control pill where I would get my period every three months instead of once a month. Once we saw the hidradenitis going away, we took away the sugar pills, so I'm taking active hormone every day. Hope this helps someone! :) Meg