Anyone taking fluorazepam for restless legs?

Rajive Goel 6 Jul 2011

Flurazepam is one of a group of medications known as benzodiazepines (sometimes called "benzos" for short). Benzodiazepines have a variety of different effects on the body, including:

Causing sleepiness; Stopping seizures; Relaxing muscles; Reducing anxiety; Impairing short-term memory.

All benzodiazepine medications can have these effects to some degree, depending on the specific medication and the dose. They work in the brain by enhancing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a chemical that is naturally calming. GABA can slow down or stop certain nerve signals in the brain. This is why flurazepam and other benzodiazepines are known as mild tranquilizers, sedatives, or central nervous system depressants (CNS depressants).

Relaxing muscles could be why it has been prescribed to you for restless legs, however please do seek a second opinion.

Take care, be well, please.

55barbara 6 Jul 2011

I have been taking fluorrazepam for approx 30 yrs for rls. Only take it about once every two weeks when I have to get some sleep as my rls is every night and I am lucky if I get 3 hrs sleep. Have tried gabapentin (no effect), requip and mirapex, both of which give me side effects after a couple of months of working great.