I was just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding an effective medication for chronic anxiety. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and depression, but I think that my depression is secondary to my anxiety and not the other way around. The anxiety disorders that I suffer from are affecting every aspect of my life; they have left me chronically fatigued, my sleep is disrupted and unrefreshing, I have lots of aches and pains throughout my body, and as a consequence, I struggle to maintain any semblance of a normal life.
I have been taking 150mg of Venlafaxine (Effexor) for the last two months, but it has not helped at all, if anything, I actually feel worse due to the side effects. Prior to Venlafaxine, I was taking Sertraline (Zoloft), which helped to lift my mood slightly, but it did not help with my chronic anxiety. In terms of antidepressants, Sertraline and Venlafaxine are the only two that I have tried so far, but I know there are many others. Please can anyone offer suggestions as to what medication (excluding benzodiazepines) may help, because I am currently on the waiting list for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and I have been told that it may take a couple of months before I can get an appointment, so I need to find a suitable medication in the meantime to help reduce my chronic anxiety to a tolerable level.