Is anyone prescribed buprenorphine for depression?

kaismama 7 May 2014

That sounds kind of weird. Why would anyone prescribe a narcotic for depression when there are many many anti depressants?

briards 8 May 2014

I have been taking it for depression for 2 months. Because it is so way off label I am having problems finding others to discuss it with. There is a Harvard discussion of it from 1995 and there is now an AD being fast tracked by the FDA for depression called ALKS 5461. It is Bupe mixed with something else... I know... imagine a narcotic for depression. I am treatment-resistant, so this has been like a miracle for me. I am just concerned about liver and what long term probs there will be. Do people take this for pain, maybe the pain forum could give me more info about the drug? This is the hardest time I have ever had trying to get info on a drug. Thanks to both of you for responding.

DzooBaby 7 May 2014

I have never heard of it being prescribed for that either. Opioids certainly dont have any antidepressant effects, per say. I cant imagine it being used for this purpose.