Does anyone know about the new med latuda for bipolar?

Anonymous 4 Apr 2012

Hello brian2012. Its an antipsychotic drug used to treat schizophrenia. And its used off label to treat Bipolar disorder. How successfully? It depends for the reports vary. Its started of at 40mg and most people remain on that dose. The maximum that can be perscribed per day is 80mg. Regards, pledge

bumblebee90 4 Apr 2012

Top of the day to ya, Pledge. Sunny skies here, and beautiful. Just taking it easy and going to play water balloons outside with the little one. Have a great one yourself. Ruthie

Anonymous 4 Apr 2012

Thanks my friend. Enjoy. :-0) Be well

slattery 4 Apr 2012

Hi Pledge... Ruthie... Brian! Glorious day here today in NYC as well! Let's hope it stays that way for Easter. Yeah, I was just thinking Pledge, how strange it is that some doctors are willing to take a gamble on "off-label" and not-yet-recommended for bipolar drugs by the FDA - yet others ARE! And it's nearly always the case that these anti-psychotics like latuda always start out as being FDA approved for schizophrenics, then trickle their way down to those who are bipolar. Sometimes it seems like it's only a matter of time before the OK from the FDA reaches the bipolar-approved market, and I do think it's both a question of politics and big $$$ which causes them to get that FDA stamp of approval.
I always think that a strong thumb's up accompanied by FDA approval would be a godsend to bipolar people concerning the drug Topamax. It's a mood stabilizer as you know; in the same categories as the other anti-seizure drugs like depakote and lamictal. But the magic thing ABOUT it is that it's a weight-LOSS drug... and as most poor people consuming many of these things are subject to weight gain, with an FDA stamp of approval, it would be a blessing to many.
But when I asked my doc about it, he immediately shot it down, as it was not FDA approved. I DO read that it's results for bipolar success have been half-hearted thus far; but I also know that the company who manufactures it doesn't have mega-bucks to spend on extensive, long and large testing groups, as a company such as Bristol Meyers Squibb would have. So we could assume that there IS a possibility that it might work equally as well as the other two cited drugs, but the company doesn't have the financial means to prove their point beyond a doubt. And so, no FDA approval as of yet.
It's a sad commentary that as with everything, money and influence and NAME are what gets drugs up and running; just like everything else in life. Plus the fact that when a drug like Latuda or Abilify comes on the market, their prices are obscene if you lack coverage... as much as $800 a pop maybe! - just so that the company can recoup it's experimental and testing phase prior to the drug coming on the market. Thank God for some people when a drug goes generic...

brian2012 5 Apr 2012

amen for that when they go generic

slattery 5 Apr 2012

Yeah, I just feel so AWFUL for poor people who either have to rely on Medicare Part "D" Brian (and THAT only covers a part of the cost, as I understand it)... or WORSE, those poor people who have no health insurance benefits at all! What DO they do... continually rely on doctor's samples from the companies? I'll bet any amount of money that your drug - Latuda - since it's a pretty new drug, costs through the ceiling, if you had to pay for it out of pocket. The stuff I take, the depakote, has been generic for the past two years, so now I hear the cost of a bottle of depakote is very reasonable, since it's now generic.