Does anyone take Neurontin as a mood stabilizer for bipolar?

WildcatVet 10 Jul 2016

Hi, Trudy! Sorry, no, I take lithium which is the mood stabilizer but gabapentin is one drug in a wide group of anti-epileptics such as topiramate and lamotrigine, etc., that are commonly and effectively prescribed to control pain, depression, mania, and anxiety.
Today is a quiet day here but hang in there. Some people will probably be coming along that have/are actually taking Neurontin and will be better able to answer your questions.
Best wishes, Wildcat

bap33 12 Jul 2016

I did take neurontin as a mood stabilizer for a while. As far as I know it's classified as an anticonvulsant. It has been shown to work well in some cases for mood. Also, I've been prescribed various atypical antipsychotics and some of them have bad side effects. Like hand tremors with Abilify. I have Bi-Polar type 1.