If anyone has had a kidney transplant, did dr. say u had to be on bactrim forever?

ab_didj 20 Sep 2012

Hi there... yes I have been asked to take it forever also. I asked what the stats were for people getting Prophylaxis, he said 6 out of 300 patients had developed the illness even after having had transplant for a long time. Apparently it is unusual for people to ge this late in transplant years, so are giving across the board to all patients. I asked if it was compulsory, and saud no, but I could get very sick if I didnt take the Bactrim. I said I wanted to research more, so here we are. I am really not keen on this drug... On top if the immunosuppressive drugs, it would upset my system a lot. Any info much appreciated.

dinny 23 Oct 2013

I am also on bactrim for life - Not happy but after getting pcp pneumonia and ventilated (transplant) small price to pay. I thini it is now common practice for all transplant recipients to be on in