Amlodipine/Benazepril - Can this drug cause numbness in thighs, hands, feet?

Rajive Goel 4 Jul 2011

It could cause as an rare side effect:

Unexplained swelling of the head or neck (including the face, lips, tongue, or throat); unexplained swelling of the hands and/or feet, which might lead to numbness.

If you feel uncomfortable you must seek advice from the doc/pharmacist who prescribed the med, he/she may change the med to suit your system.

Please take care, be well & safe!

tamra 10 Oct 2011

I've been looking for a direct answer for this question for over a year. I can tell you my experience. I started taking amlodipine (Norvasc) after lisinopril made me loose my voice. I adjusted very well to the amlodipine but I noticed that when I lied on my back to sleep my thighs went numb. I've been thru chiropractic care to help back problems but it really feels like it has nothing to do with it at all.

I also have alot of swelling in my ankles when I wear socks. I'm 42 yrs old and it looks like I have "old lady ankles"... no offense to any one that is beyond me in years... but it's the best way that I can describe it. Yes, I'm over weight but wearing socks for an hour makes me look ridiculous.

In the past few weeks I've also noticed something else. I need to take my rings off when I sleep now because my hands are going numb when I sleep. I had a visit with my "physicians assistant" for another matter and asked her about it... she had said it's probably the amlodipine causing my hands to swell in my sleep and my rings will make them go numb. Because of the other numbness and swelling issues, she has advised that I speak with my dr about these issues and try another bp med. I have an appt on Friday.

Best of luck to you!! You are not alone and you're not going crazy. :)

GiveMeAnAnswer 13 Oct 2011

Taking a multi vitamin eliminated numbness in my thighs and extremities. I occassionally experience numbness at night in hands, but not like I had when I first posted this. (I was told that overtime this drug can deplete or lower nutrients the body needs.) I cut back my salts to 1500mg a day which all but eliminated the water retention in my legs. And most recently I started taking fish oil capsules, which has eliminated stiffness in my leg ligaments. I believe the numbness, water retention and stiffness were all from amlodipine... but I cant be sure. I do know the simple changes I made have made a great difference for me in reducing / eliminating the symptoms. Im still taking the medication. Best of wishes to you. If you learn more Id love to hear from you.