I am travelling to Peru for 2 weeks. For the first week I am gradually increasing altitude peaking at 10,000 feet. However, due to an alteration of flight times, I then have to return to sea level for 24 hours. After that I fly to 8,000 feet, then after 3 hours take a bus trip which reaches 16,000 feet before descending back to 8,000 feet to sleep.
My question is, has the altitude tolerance that has built up over the previous week been lost by spending 24 hours back at sea level. I have read much information on this subject but cannot find any guidance on this.
Also, I would be travelling from sea level to 16,000 feet in a short period of time, although only passing through with probably photo stops at highest altitudes before returning to sleep at 8,000 feet.
I am worried that the sudden change from sea level to 16,000 feet could be very dangerous, or is the risk of serious problems negligable given my circumstances above. Physical exercise will be minimal, I shall be taking Diamox, and keeping hydrated, maybe taking supplimentary oxygen if available.
I just feel I am getting paranoid and on the verge of cancelling the 2nd part of the trip because of a flight change.
Any advice would be welcomed.