Allergic Reactions - am allergic to penicillin can I take Ciprofloxacn?

DzooBaby 12 Sep 2011

Cipro is a fluoroquinolone drug not a penicillin derivative. You may be able to take fluoroquinolone drugs if you are allergic to PCN (penicillin). Always be sure your Dr and your pharmacy knows what drugs you are allergic to.

caringsonbj 12 Sep 2011

Dzoobaby is right at times I have had so much of the pcn (Penicillin) that my body was not allergic but would not respond (I have an immune disorder and have to take lots of antibiotics so as with me Cipro and Levaquin became drugs they used instead, another alternative is a drug called Avelox but as she said always talk with the doctor and pharmacist

Elise123 23 Nov 2012

THANK YOU so much for all your help with my questions !!!

jjjegan 14 Nov 2013

I also am allergic tp Penicilin and have no problems when taking Cipro. I just don't like the fact that it can cause permanent tendon damage, so its on my pharmacy allergy list.