Does alcoholic cirrhosis go away after liver transplant?

Stephen Treloar 20 Jul 2016

Of course, but getting an alcoholic to even get interviewed for listing on the Transplant list, you have to prove you have been abstinent for a period of one year and if you apply, you are subject to random blood ETG testing (the four day detection test) and testing for illicit drugs (e.g. codeine gives a full positive for morphine). As well as that weekly couselling is considered mandatory.

If you should get a liver, you won't be drinking again as inflammation of the new liver ends up resulting in organ rejection.

Good luck, Steve (alchoholic for 28 years and 3 years sober)

Stephen Treloar 20 Jul 2016

I should add that I encountered a Chinese guy who burnt through his new liver in 3 years and then took his 9 year old daughter to China to have half her liver removed for her dad (hopelessly too small for an adult) and had come back to Australia begging for a new liver. He didn't get it; I was not sorry at all.

If you get an organ think of it as a precious gift.