I am 28 years old and for the last 6 to 7 years I just felt really down most of the time causing mood swings, easily agitated behavior, I seemed to dwell/stress on everything, I got very little sleep none of which was good quality sleep and to cope I was drinking whiskey from the time I got home until I went to bed at night. Also I know now that I started having pretty severe panic acts as well but pride made me tell myself that this was normal, everyone as problems and I was just being weak. All of these symptoms were really causing a lot of strain on my relationships at home and also effected my career more than I realized. As a result about 3 months ago, going on 4 now, I spoke with a doctor about what was going on and he prescribed me Zoloft 100mg 1 every morning and Xanax 0.5mg 1 tablet a day. I was truly amazed how much better I felt, my relationships are improving, things at work are getting better, I started sleeping in bed with my wife again AND ACTUALLY sleeping though the night, I quit drinking but most of all the Xanax took care of the dreaded panic attracts. That is up until the last 2 week or so. I have continued taking as prescribed but the seem less effective at relieving me of my panic attacks even right after I take it but especially at around the 3 1/2- 4 hour mark and beyond. Also I have started becoming anxious at night again causing me to lose sleep.
My question is do you think that after only 3 months I have developed a tolerance to the Xanax and should I approach my doctor about upping the milligram or maybe change the dose to twice a day? I've read a lot about doctor's being reluctant to prescribe these makes do to recreational drug seekers so I'm scared that by talking to him about this that he may label me this way. Also do you think I should call my doctor now or just try to manage for the next to weeks until my next appointment?

any advice is greatly appreciated because I really don't want to lose this new found quality of life. Thank you!