Are there any known adverse reactions possible if eating Grapefruit while taking Nortriptylin?

Marvell 28 Aug 2013

There are no known interactions between nortriptyline and grapefruit/grapefruit juice.

https://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/nortriptyline.html

HeadStarter 29 Aug 2013

Hello KristieD and welcome to DC. Yes, there are side effects which need to be discussed with your doctor. I copied the following information for you which is also available on our website:

"What should I avoid while taking nortriptyline?

Do not drink alcohol. Nortriptyline can increase the effects of alcohol, which could be dangerous.

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with nortriptyline and lead to unwanted side effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor.

This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.

Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Nortriptyline can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors."

I hope this helps you... Be safe, be well and be your own best advocate in your medical care. Sometimes I feel like if we don't ask the questions... the answers aren't so forthcoming.

Mary