Acetaminophen/Oxycodone - I want to stop using percoets. What is the best way?

Anonymous 17 Sep 2009

It would be helpful to us who want to answer if we knew how much you are taking. Basically, the brain has a sender part and a receptor part. The signal goes from the sender to the receptor and then the brain sends out its own opiates/endorphins. If you take opiates for a long time, the sender part thinks it is no longer needed and takes a vacation or retires. It has to have time to come back, "online." Most people are unsucessful at weaning themselves back down on percs, lortabs, or vics , but, at least in theory, that is the way to go. However, if you have been taking quite a few for a year or more, you may want to check into the suboxone/subutex route. Some on this forum say that the best way is cold turkey and of course you will suffer withdrawal for anywhere from a few days to I think a couple of weeks. I went the suboxone route and I can help you with that if you would like to ask some questions on that. I know that probably didn't completely answer your question, but, if you give the info, how much and how long, I think others might answer also.

phillip6103 17 Sep 2009

weening is the best and safest way you could also try switching to a lower dose non narcotic while weening to ease the transition.