Is it abnormal to take 30mg. a day of lexapro for 11 yrs. and have no bettering results? What 2 do?

jagry1999 16 Apr 2013

Hi Viking.
Short answer: yes. The question I have to ask you: why have you not tried another rx prior? Next question: where is your physician & why has s/he not suggested an alternative? You are the customer of this doc and if this doc is not doing a good job for you - fire them and hire another. My directness is not intended to be rude but you are dealing with something important: you.

Mark.

WildcatVet 16 Apr 2013

Hi, viking! If you've been taking a high dose of Lexapro (30mg once daily) for that long with no improvement of your symptoms it's high time to get to your doctor and talk about a change in medication! If your doctor is aware that you've had no improvement, it's time to find a new doctor.
Good luck and Best Wishes! WCV

cowgirl keno 16 Apr 2013

I took Paxil for 22 years, it was never a "I feel so much better" fix. It just made it bearable. I got out of bed in the morning. Sometimes I think that's the best we can hope for from a pill, the rest we have to cowgirl up and do ourselves. BTW the getting off Paxil took a year and month to do, and was the most miserable year of my life. I'm on Cymbalta now and you know what, it's still not "I feel so much better." Sometimes you just got to lie to yourself, look for the good stuff, stay away from the stuff that brings you down, and cowgirl up.

WildcatVet 16 Apr 2013

Hi, Cowgirl! I totally disagree. While it might take time to find the right medication, or combination of meds, I know that there's every reason to believe that you can expect to live a *normal* life once again. I had a long, hard road until I found the right combo and now life is very good. I would never have waited years to feel this way. I was self-affirmative and kept working with my doctors. You have to be patient, but persistent, in your attempts.
There are so many different medications available, and new ones available, and new combinations to be tried. Why be self-defeating??
Best wishes, WCV

WildcatVet 16 Apr 2013

And it sure doesn't hurt to take a positive approach to your lifestyle! Eat well, exercise, DO things that make you feel better about yourself. Force yourself if needs be. You CAN do it! Life can be good if you truly want it to be and are willing to work for it.

viking7 16 Apr 2013

Just wanted to say to all who commented on my ? about lexapro thank you. I have over the last 15 yrs. have been on over 25 different meds for severe depression and lexapro is the only one that didn't have so many side effects. The last new try was to change me over to viibryd and after just two weeks I experienced what is known as sereitonin syndrome. I almost last my mind and last being monitored by the health company for bad reactions. They were afraid of so bad things that could happen and iwas told that even death can occur from this. I have hoped to come off of the lexapro for good so as to find out how bad things are. I was told by the doctor to stop the viibryd and just stay on the lexapro. I am on disability and you get about 10 min. of face time with the doctor evry 6 to 8 weeks and I have been having a hard time trying to tell him the full extent of what is happening. It feels hopeless to ever find a doctor to set down and reivaluate my situtation.

WildcatVet 16 Apr 2013

Viking, there are other options besides just antidepressants. I'm on a cocktail that has changed my life. I'm on disability too, but I have a doctor who's a saint and who listens to every word I say, for as long as it takes, every two weeks. Find a new doctor! Don't accept what you're getting. They are out there, believe me, I know this for a fact. I've had two in a row, this last one for 3 years. Go out there and look!! You deserve it and no one is going to do it for you.
Best wishes, WCV