Hi everyone, I mistakenly posted this to the "Dosage" group and I meant it for this one, so sorry if it's a repeat post for you. I am new to this group and it's great to discover it! I did some searching around in our archives to see if my concerns have been addressed, but I didn't see anything specific that answered my question; please forgive me if I missed something!

I have been taking lithium (Eskalith CR) for several years. I started at a high dosage (1575 mg a day) and then my psychiatrist and I worked together to lower it over time. I have been at 900 mg for the past couple years and have been within the low end of the therapeutic blood levels. (.7) I have been stable (knock on wood) and lithium is the only drug I take for bipolar one.

I wish to try a lower dose of lithium and my question is: how low have some of you gone with this drug? I am concerned about the long-term effects of lithium upon my kidneys/liver etc., and I also have a very strong family history of thyroid problems. As you probably know, lithium is well-documented for affecting the thyroid adversely even if there isn't a family history.

Anyway, my psychiatrist is conservative and doesn't want to dabble yet unless I really press for it. The way I see it, this is my body and at the end of the day I need to advocate for what I believe in without compromising my mental health too much. There are no guarantees, of course, when fiddling with dosages, but I would love to hear about others' experiences with dosage levels of lithium. Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from other members!