... cortisone shots after diagnosis, then nothing until about a year ago when I was referred to the pain clinic and from there physio. I just came back from my doctor the other day where he prescribed Gabapentin 100mg 3x day.. I find it works for about a half hour or so, so I started taking 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.. I am in severe pain over 85% of the time and moderate pain in the remaining 15%.. I also have dilaudid 4mg 2x a day as needed..I can't take these as I am chronically constipated now.. Just curious as to what is next in this glorious condition I guess. I also have other health problems, I'm thinking I am too young for all this stuff.. Depression, Hypothyroidism, Anxiety, Panic Attacks,.
Have you considered a compounded pain cream? Look up compounding pharmacies in your area, or have your dr refer you to one. They can customize a pain cream to fit your needs. Ketamine in particular is a very common ingredient in compounded pain cream formulas, and it is very effective at treating different kinds of pain. Your doctor will need to write the prescription, but the compounding pharmacy can work with your doctor to explain the process for prescribing compounded drugs.
Stay active even though it hurts. Yes, your gabapentin can be increased. All opioids are going to cause constipation. You need to drink a LOT of water-64 oz per day, especially when you are using opioids. Tea and coffee dont count because they are diuretics and pull off more fluid than they replace-it needs to be water preferably, or juice is okay too.I keep a large water bottle on hand at all times so I can sip on it throughout the day. Keep a pitcher of chilled water in the fridge-use a 64 oz pitcher and if you drink most of it you are meeting your fluid requirements. Once you are well hydrated, you wont have to keep going to urinate frequently-your body has to get used to being hydrated again. Increase the fiber in your diet. Get a whole grain or bran cereal, eat plenty of fruits, veggies and nuts, whole grains, breads or cereals with grains like bran, rye, oat and wheat. It also helps to take a really good probiotic.
Get one with strains in the billions and has multiple strains. Taking a probiotic daily, or twice daily, has really helped me and I take a lot of opioids! I am more regular now than I have even been! I do drink a lot of water too. If you dont eat fruits and veggies, add a fiber supplement like Benefiber or Citrucel to your regimen. Fiber takes fluid to work though so if you dont drink enough water the fiber cant help you. Taking a daily stool softener helps some people. Something like Colace is good. Some people find if they take it daily, their body get tolerant so for some it helps to take stool softeners 2-3 days a week only, or a week on then a week off. If it has been over 3 days since the last BM then it is time to use a laxative. Milk of Magnesia is an old standby. We used to use Milk of Magnesia (MOM) and Cascara in the hospitals a lot and if that doesnt shift you!!! You can get Cascara in the aisle with the herbal products if you cant find it with the laxatives. Miralax works well for a lot of opioid patients. Magnesium Citrate will also work but if you have tried just about everything, my smoking gun is Castor Oil. I have never seen anyone who didnt have results after using Castor Oil. You can take opioid when you need them as long as you learn a good bowel regimen to use at the same time or they do block you up like cement!
I've had the same thing for 3 years. I've been taking 1200mg Gabapentin/day along with 24mg tizanidine/day. I've had 2 series of epidurals and nothing has helped. My neurosurgeon's P/A said I have to get a new MRI and x-ray then go to a surgical consultation. If I don't want the surgery, then it's more PT, meds, etc. I think the bottom line is how bad do you hurt? Is the surgery necessary or can it.be put off? It is a major decision that requires you to look at all aspects concerning the surgery (i.e. time off, family impact, personal health, etc.). Personally, I am waiting to get all of the facts before I make the decision.
- Cortisone Information for Consumers
- Cortisone Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Cortisone (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
I had an MRI and have a very rare combination of stenosis in lumbar and thoracic Spinal stenosis. I?
Updated 23 Jan 2013 • 7 answers
Updated 12 Sep 2017 • 7 answers
Updated 9 Mar 2014 • 2 answers
Updated 13 Jul 2016 • 4 answers
30 minutes after taking my night meds I start having leg pain from my spinal stenosis & bulged disc?
Posted 6 days ago • 0 answers