So I was instructed by my GI doctor to take this as needed for 1 to 2 weeks when having a mild ulcerative colitis flare and see what happens. I was diagnosed with U.C. about 5 years ago and haven't used the Canasa supp. much until now; I take 5 pills of Asacol daily (800 mg tablets).

I'm on day 12 now of using Canasa and it's sort of helping but my situation tonight changed a bit. I inserted 1 supp. as directed and rested, but I also had had my 2 daily remaining Asacol right after inserting the Canasa. And of course, I had a bowel movement within 30 minutes of taking that med combination. I saw the stool had soaked up/combined with most if not all of the Canasa. I usually take my Canasa and Asacol together, and this is the first time in a very long time that it triggered a bowel movement in less than an hour. I typically dont have to go until the next morning or afternoon.

With that said, is the best idea to wait until the next night for my Canasa 1000 mg dose? Or is it unwise to use another Canasa supp.. the same night, given that most of it came out in the stool?

I was wondering if other people have run across this issue and have been told to wait until your next dose. OR, if they have been told by their doc that it's acceptable to double up every once in along while (only for that 1 night and not again within a 2 month? period).