I'm a 24 year old woman. I went in regular birth control pills at 17. I had a severe reaction and couldn't handle the hormones. I had mood swings and was lashing out, even my mom didn't want me on it. But we switched to the lowest dosage estrogen birth control pill and I seemed to be much better. I stayed on it until I was 22. I wasn't in a relationship at the time, and decided to take a break from any birth control or outside things being put into my body. I felt great, happier, and actually lost weight (I'm very small to begin with but lost maybe ten pounds. I'm 5'1 and went from 120 to 110 without changing diet or exercise). Then I got into a serious relationship and stayed off of the pill and only used condoms for our first 6 months. We decided I should go back on and I went on the same lowest estrogen BC pill. After a month I started to feel depressed and moody. It was hard to get up for work and I felt hazy and out of it. I waited two months but felt the same. I talked to my doctor and we decided to get the Mirena IUD since it has localized hormones only released in one spor and not digested. It definitely really hurt going in but they gave me the prescription to put in over night to open my cervix and also 800mg ibuprofen. It was really painful but lasted only about a minute and I had really bad cramps the rest of the day. Otherwise fine. But I've had SEVERE mood swings and depression like I've never felt before. I don't want to leave bed, I don't want to be around people, I'm crying uncontrollably, and lashing out at people I love. It's only been about 3 weeks on it but I can't continue to feel this way.

I am definitely getting the Mirena removed but since BC pills and Mirena both have affected me severely, I don't know where to turn. I have been researching the paragard since it doesn't have hormones, which is perfect for me considering the hormones are causing all my issues. But I worry about coppper toxicity or hair loss or the bad cramps. Since my body is so sensitive to things, I worry I'll get all of those side effects at full effect.

If anyone has any guidance or experience similar, it would be really great to hear. Thank you!!!