Can I take 20 mg of my amitriptyline if under a lot of anxiety and stress?

masso 19 Jan 2018

If prescribed by your DR. of course, if not , do not self medicate, contact your Health Care Provider.

WildcatVet 19 Jan 2018

Hi, purple! Antidepressants/anxiolytics must be taken for about 4-6 weeks to become effective. You can't just take them ad lib. Consult with your doctor before self-medicating.
Best regards, Wildcat

KrystaLovinLife 19 Jan 2018

If it has been prescribed to you, you should take it as directed by your doctor. Amitriptyline is a mild anti depressant and it can also be used to treat anxiety disorder due to its side effect of sleepiness. I'm on nortriptyline and I take other prescribed meds with it before bed, including a pain med and a muscle relaxer and I have no bad effects from them. I hope that your anxiety attack passes and that you'll be able to get some much needed rest. Terry to do a little guided imagery, there are all kinds of guided imagery sessions on YouTube. They really help me when I'm feeling really anxious. Stay in the present and try not to concentrate on the past or future, only the present, in this moment. Go outside and close your eyes, and breathe deeply of the fresh air, feel the wind in your face, the sunshine warming it.