I usually take 20 mg ambien and now have 10 mg sonata, how many sonatas should I take to equal up t?

Suzybelle 27 Jul 2014

how do you get your doctor to give you 20 mgs of ambien? I know sonata only worked for me for a while... I had to take 2 10 mgs of sonota.

Broncobaby36 31 Jul 2014

He prescribed me 10 mg of ambien but i have a high tolerance to just about anything so he said i could take up to 20 mgs if needed then i only had 4 hours of sleep and would wake up so he prescribed sonata and that def doesnt help so i have to make another appt to see if he could prescribe ambien xr which is newer and it being an extended release it should help me sleep through the night, if my insurance covers it that is

kaismama 27 Jul 2014

You need to follow the drs directions. When you start it it should be started at 10 mg, then if it doesn't help, your dr can raise it to 20.

Suzybelle 31 Jul 2014

I feel cheated.. my doctor would never give me more then 10 mgs... and then he stopped and told me to go get it from my shrink... 10 mgs was just not enough anymore. Now I am off it and have anti anxiety meds to help me sleep

Broncobaby36 31 Jul 2014

My dr told me since i have a high tolerance to just about anything to take 20 mgs of my ambien when needed but was prescribed 10 mg but only got 4 hrs of sleep so he prescribed sonata which did absoloutly nothing.. I have a follow up appt to see if he can prescribe ambien XR and with it being extented release it would help me sleep through the night thats if my insurance will pay for it since its fairly new

pamee 27 Jul 2014

I would say they are about equal in strength, maybe the Ambien is a little stronger. While Sonata (zaleplon) may be best indicated for the delayed onset of sleep, Ambien (zolpidem) may be better indicated for maintaining a complete night's sleep. However, many people complain about Ambien only sleeping about 4 hours. Of the two, zaleplon has the shortest half-life, so it may be best when the main problem is getting to sleep, or when you don’t want to sleep for more than four or five hours (for example, on a cross-country airplane trip). Hope this helped

balbanese 27 Jul 2014

As I often recommend, this best and safest answer to a question like this would come from the prescribing physician, as everyone responds differently to meds, and switching and matching without the Doc's knowledge of the meds and most importantly his/her knowledge of you, could result in avoidable difficulty. Please consult the Doc involved. Hope this helps.