I am 16 weeks pregnant is the shot of dilaudid that I got in the E.R. gonna harm the baby?

kaismama 6 Nov 2012

When in relationship to the pregnancy did you get the shot? Dilaudid is in category c for pregnancy, meaning the risk to the baby is outweighed by the need to the mother. If its a one time thing, it wouldn't be as risky. I would talk to my dr about it.

DzooBaby 6 Nov 2012

Did they know you were pregnant when you got the shot? Did you have any x-rays or tests? I would be more worried about if you got any xrays. A one time shot of dilaudid is unlikely to cause any long term damage to the developing child. Opioids are more dangerous when they are a frequent or every day thing because of dependency in the mother and child. I mean, there are women who have to have surgeries during pregnancy that cannot be avoided and they take pain meds and anesthesia and their babies are fine so dont beat yourself up about it. It is a good thing to discuss all of this with your Obstetrician. If you had any xrays during that time you were in the ER, you most certainly need to mention them and mention that you got the dilaudid as well.