can he be on vetprofen and or rimadyl? He is also taking tramadol 50 mgs 2x daily, he is currently taking 1/2 2x 100 mg of vetprofen. so far so good, can this be continued and for how long?
I would concur with Kaismamas answer. He can probably be on the meds as long as he needs to. I know, in humans, bone cancer is very painful so the poor guy is probably hurting so keep him as comfortable as possible. You should probably talk to your Vet to be sure. I lost my last dog ( a lab) at 10 years old and it was terribly hard on me. I still cant think of him without crying and he's been gone almost 3 years now. I have a Rottie now and I was just reading that osteo sarcoma is very prevalent in Rotties too. We got the Rottie right after our previous dog passed and he really helped a LOT with my grief even though no dog can replace another and I still miss my Sam. I'm so sorry that your precious boy is so ill. Enjoy what time you have with him and take each day as a blessing. I had no warning with Sam.
He was fine the night before and the next morning we found him out in the yard-he had been gone probably since some time the previous night. I'm not sure what is better, knowing they are sick or having it happen with no warning. I have a friend whose dog was given less than a year and he lived another 3 years so maybe you will have more time. As long as their quality of life is good and they are happy, let them have as long as you can.
I am so sorry to here about your doggy, I read this and wanted to cry... I had to shepards when I was little, but to little to no what exact cancer they both got, and then passed... It crushed me inside, for as far as I am concerned, they r just as human as u and I... trust in kaismam and DzooBaby when it comes to the meds experts... but I just wanted to say I am sorry, just enjoy each and every second with your dog, and I will pray every night that GOD gives u more x to spend with doggy... so so sorry... GOD BLESS U AND MANS BEST FRIEND...
Oh no!!! I lost my Rottweiler to osteo sarcoma and I'm still not over it. i caught the tumor in its early stages and had a specialist laser it out four times. After the fourth he told me I had to start grieving. It was too hard on my baby. I went to see an oncology specialist who gave me three wonderful choices. A) Trial of chemo and radiation which would give him 6 months, but months of being a sick baby with a poor quality of life; B) They could operate and remove the lower half if his jaw; C) Let him live happily and spoil him and love him and when it's time, he will let you know. His name was Templeton. All choices sounded horrible. I didn't want him sick his last months. He was a pure bred champion blood line. Stunning dog, and there was no way I could remove half his jaw where his tongue would constantly be hanging out and I'd have to hand feed him. Not that I wouldn't do anything for him, I would. He was my guardian, my best friend, my angel.
Four months of living like that was not fair to him. I had to make that choice, do I do chemo and radiation and surgery so I get to keep him longer for me? Meanwhile he's miserable. So I went the holistic route but I knew it was too late, but I did. He was spoiled rotten. One of the most magnificent things I witnessed was taking him to the ocean and tossing a stick. When he ran into the water he submerged himself under the water and came back up like this giant graceful animal who realized the healing powers of the ocean. It was surreal when he'd submerge then come up. Anyway, he never failed me. He was so sick. The tumor was about the size of a baseball at this time. I have never seen anything so ugly. And knowing it was taking more and more of him killed me. But he came to meet me as always one day after work. He had stopped eating. I was feeding him tripe per the holistic vets advice and he did great in it for awhile. They supposedly love it and its easy to digest, nutrient rich, smells horrendous. So I brought him Baskin Robbins. He met me at the door and went upstairs. We use to lay on the floor together and he'd face me and put his huge paws on my shoulders. It was our thing. Anyway, I offered him the ice cream, he turned his head and looked at me as if to say sorry mom, it's time. That night the tumor was bleeding everywhere. I rushed him to the 24 hr clinic, everyone there thought I was a head case as I just weeped and sobbed in the waiting room. When the vet brought him out I knew, I looked at her and said I will call the surgeon on Tuesday. It was Memorial Day weekend. And I had that night and Monday with him. Then Tuesday it was time. I won't share the end as I don't want to depress you, but from the time I did the last laser to the end was just a few months. I'm sorry I don't have better news. He was only 7. Osteosarcomas are the worst. His was in his jaw I should have mentioned. Where is your babies? Has there been growth? If they say 5 months, I hate to say they are probably fairly accurate but if he's doing well and not sick, maybe you could visit a holistic vet to add some other treatments to keep his immunity up and possibly you could have much longer! It's an aggressive cancer. I had to watch his grow and it was awful. I hope I didn't depress you. Just keep your hope and faith alive. He will let you know and if you ever want to talk about it, send me a PQ. I know just what you're going through. Sending you prayers!!!
Hi, you can use the treatments for as long as they help keep the pain at bay. I lost my dog a couple of years ago to cancer (gastric carcinoma) and i gave him Tramadol also. Unfortunately, because of the site of the cancer he lost the ability to swallow the tablets so we then switched to injectable med's. So this is an option if your dog develops the same problem. I'm very sorry to hear your news. Try and create some lasting memories over the months you have left together. Take lots of pictures! I took my dog on holiday to the seaside when i found out the cancer was inoperable, and i still have very happy memories of the trip : )
When my well loved dog was diagnosed, we had a long discussion with the vet. Finally I asked what she would do if her dog were suffering like this. We all agreed it would be kinder to put him down than let him endlessly suffer because of our needs. It was his life, he led a good life and he was dying in pain. A few more months would give him nothing but a few more months of suffering. There is no way to measure your lets pain. We put him down. Tears in our eyes. No different than it would be a few months later. Except the pain was gone.
What you do is a personal choice. Be sure it is for the right reasons. You will know when it is your buddies turn. I wish you well.
- Tramadol Information for Consumers
- Tramadol Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Tramadol (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 28 Jul 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 13 Jul 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 12 Feb 2012 • 5 answers
Posted 12 Apr 2012 • 2 answers
Posted 28 Mar 2013 • 1 answer