MetriGuard (Canada)This page contains information on MetriGuard for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- MetriGuard Indications
- Warnings and cautions for MetriGuard
- Direction and dosage information for MetriGuard
MetriGuardThis treatment applies to the following species:
surface disinfectant decontaminant cleaner
Contains Biodegradable Detergent
FOR SALE IN CANADA ONLY
Read the label before using.
Diisobutylphenoxyethoxyethyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES
PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS: Harmful to Humans and Domestic Animals. AVOID CONTAMINATION OF FOOD. MAY CAUSE EYE IRRITATION. AVOID DIRECT CONTACT WITH EYES. IN CASE OF DIRECT EYE CONTACT, IMMEDIATELY FLUSH EYES WITH PLENTY OF WATER FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES. IF IRRITATION PERSISTS, SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION.
TESTED EFFECTIVE ON INANIMATE SURFACES AGAINST: Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella enterica, Mycobacterium tuberculosis var: bovis (BCG), Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus faecalis (VRE), Trichophyton mentagrophytes, Herpes Simplex Virus types 1 and 2, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV-1)
Directions For Use
This product is not to be used as a terminal sterilant/high-level disinfectant on any surface or instrument that (1) is introduced directly into the human body, either into or in contact with the bloodstream or normally sterile areas of the body, or (2) contacts intact mucous membranes but which does not ordinarily penetrate the blood barrier or otherwise enter normally sterile areas of the body. This product may be used to preclean or decontaminate critical or semicritical medical devices prior to sterilization/high-level disinfection.
MetriGuard is a ready-to-use, highly effective cleaner and disinfectant for use on the surfaces of inanimate objects and non-critical medical instruments. Non-critical medical instruments are defined as those which contact only intact skin during routine use (eg. stethoscopes and bedpans). It is especially useful in hospital operating rooms, isolation areas, neonatal units, and other areas where environmental control of cross contamination is important. MetriGuard will effectively clean and disinfect such items as: infant incubators and bassinets, operating room tables and lights, and other inanimate surfaces, including those made of plastics (such as: polycarbonate, polyvinylchloride, polypropylene and polystyrene), non-porous vinyl and upholstery, stainless steel, painted surfaces, Plexiglas®, glass, and other hard non-porous surfaces. Items such as infant incubators and bassinets should be rinsed thoroughly with potable water.
For cleaning medical equipment and surfaces:
- Apply directly to surface. Wipe surface clean using a paper or cloth towel or rinse surface and either wipe dry or allow to air dry. Discard dirty towel.
For disinfecting medical equipment and surfaces:
- Apply MetriGuard directly to precleaned surface, thoroughly wetting area to be disinfected. Allow surface to remain wet for 3 minutes at room temperature (68 °F/20 °C). Follow by wiping surface using a clean paper or cloth towel; or rinse and either allow surface to air dry or wipe rinsed surface dry using a clean paper or cloth towel. Discard towel.
METRIGUARD EFFECTIVELY KILLS HIV ON PRECLEANED ENVIRONMENTAL SURFACES/OBJECTS PREVIOUSLY SOILED WITH BLOOD/BODY FLUIDS IN HEALTHCARE SETTINGS OR OTHER SETTINGS IN WHICH THERE IS AN EXPECTED LIKELIHOOD OF SOILING OF INANIMATE SURFACES/OBJECTS WITH BLOOD/BODY FLUIDS, AND IN WHICH THE SURFACE/OBJECTS CAN BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR TRANSMISSION OF HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS TYPE 1 (HIV-1).
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLEANING AND DECONTAMINATION AGAINST HIV-1 (HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS) OF SURFACES/OBJECTS SOILED WITH BLOOD/BODY FLUID:
- Personal Protection: Wear appropriate barrier protection such as latex gloves, gowns, masks or eye coverings.
- Cleaning Procedure: Blood and other bodily fluids must be thoroughly cleaned from surfaces and objects before disinfection with MetriGuard.
- Contact Time: Apply MetriGuard directly to precleaned surface, thoroughly wetting area to be disinfected. Allow surface to remain wet for 4 minutes at room temperature (68 °F/20 °C).
- Infectious Materials Disposal: Cleaning materials used that may contain blood or other bodily fluids must be autoclaved and/or disposed of in accordance with local regulations for infectious materials disposal.
For use as an instrument decontamination spray:
- Place instruments into a suitable container. Thoroughly spray solution onto instruments so as to thoroughly drench all surfaces. Cover. Allow to remain wet for 3 minutes at room temperature (68 °F/20 °C). Rinse instruments, follow with appropriate cleaning process. (Critical and semi-critical devices must be followed by appropriate terminal sterilization/high-level disinfection process.)
For use as an ultrasonic cleaning solution:
- Thoroughly pre-rinse objects under running water to remove visible gross debris. Using 30 mL (1 fl. oz.) of MetriGuard per liter (0.26 gallon) of water in ultrasonic unit, immerse objects into mixed solution and activate unit for 3 minutes or longer if necessary. Remove instruments and rinse thoroughly. Change solution as needed. (Critical and semi-critical devices must be followed by appropriate terminal sterilization/high-level disinfection process.)
For use as a manual cleaner:
Thoroughly pre-rinse dirty objects under running tap water to remove visible gross debris. Place pre-rinsed objects into a solution of 30 mL (1 fl. oz.) of MetriGuard per liter (0.26 gallon) of water. Scrub objects using a stiff bristle brush until visibly clean. (Objects should be submerged as scrubbed.) Rinse thoroughly. Change solution as needed. (Critical and semi-critical devices must be followed by appropriate terminal sterilization/high-level disinfection process.)
For disinfection of NON-CRITICAL instruments:
- Instruments must be thoroughly precleaned to remove excess organic debris, rinsed and then rough dried. (Clean and rinse the lumens of hollow instruments before filling with solution or before immersion.) Immerse instruments into undiluted MetriGuard solution and allow to remain submerged for 3 minutes at room temperature (68 °F/20 °C). Remove and rinse or wipe dry prior to use. Change solution daily or more often as needed if the solution becomes diluted or visibly soiled.
PrecautionsHazard to humans and domestic animals. Wear appropriate barrier protection such as latex gloves, gowns, masks or eye coverings.
STORAGE AND DISPOSAL:
StorageStore in a cool place.
SOLUTION DISPOSAL: Dilute with water. Dispose of in ordinary sanitary sewer.
CONTAINER DISPOSAL: Triple rinse. Offer for recycling or reconditioning, or puncture and dispose of in a sanitary landfill, or incineration, or, if allowed by provincial and local authorities, by burning. If burned, keep out of smoke.
FIRST AID INSTRUCTIONS: In case of eye contact: Flush thoroughly with water for 15 minutes. Be sure to remove contact lenses, if present. Seek medical advice if irritation persists. In case of ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Seek medical advice if upset stomach or gastric distress persists. In case of skin contact: Flush thoroughly with water for 15 minutes. If redness persists, seek medical advice.
For product or technical information, contact Metrex at 800-841-1428 or visit our web site at www.metrex.com.
Manufactured By: METREX® RESEARCH, 1717 W. Collins Ave., Orange, CA 92867
Imported By: Sybron Canada LP, Brampton, Ontario L6W 4T5
MADE IN USA
12 x 946 mL / 32 fl. oz.
NAC No.: 12660052
1717 W. COLLINS AVENUE, ORANGE, CA, 92867
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the MetriGuard information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2014 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2014-04-11