Distox-PlusThis page contains information on Distox-Plus for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Distox-Plus Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Distox-Plus
- Direction and dosage information for Distox-Plus
Distox-PlusThis treatment applies to the following species:
Mink Distemper-Enteritis Vaccine
Modified Live and Killed Virus
Clostridium Botulinum Type C-Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Bacterin-Toxoid
DIRECTIONS FOR USE, READ CAREFULLY
This vaccine is made up of two components: a lyophilized (freeze-dried) vaccine containing a modified live distemper virus grown in tissue culture and combined with stabilizing agents; and a liquid fraction containing inactivated mink enteritis virus grown in a feline cell line, Clostridium botulinum Type C bacterin-toxoid, and inactivated Pseudomonas aeruginosa Serotypes 5, 6, 7-8, and 9 with an aluminum adjuvant. The liquid bacterin-toxoid component serves as diluent for rehydrating the dried vaccine and has been processed and tested especially to allow mixing of this combination vaccine in the field.
This vaccine is for use in mink 10 weeks of age or older, as an aid in preventing distemper, virus enteritis, type C botulism and hemorrhagic pneumonia through vaccination by subcutaneous injection.
WHEN TO VACCINATE
Mink should be vaccinated at 6 weeks of age for mink virus enteritis and then at 10 weeks or older with DISTOX-PLUS. Revaccinate breeders one month before mating season for distemper and type C botulism.
PREPARATION OF THE VACCINE
1. Do not open and mix the vaccine until ready for use.
2. Mix only one vial at a time and use entire contents within two hours.
3. Disinfect exposed rubber stoppers with alcohol or other disinfectants.
4. Shake the liquid bacterin-toxoid component well before use.
5. Using a sterile needle and syringe, transfer 40-50 mL from the liquid bacterin-toxoid bottle into the bottle containing the dried distemper vaccine.
6. After rehydration is complete, aseptically transfer the rehydrated vaccine back to the liquid bacterin-toxoid bottle. Shake the completed vaccine well to suspend evenly.
7. The vaccine is now ready for use.
Mink kits younger than 10 weeks of age and born from distemper-vaccinated female breeders may possess strong maternal immunity which can interfere with the distemper fraction of this vaccine. Thus, vaccination of such mink is not recommended before 10 weeks of age.
HOW TO VACCINATE
For all mink, inject 1.0 mL (cc) subcutaneously under the skin, preferably in the region of the armpit (axillary space).
1. For veterinary use only.
2. Vaccinate only healthy animals. Although disease may not be evident, Aleutian disease, urinary tract infections, boils or other disease conditions may cause complications or reduce protection.
3. Use only sterile needles and syringes to inject the vaccine. Syringes and needles may be sterilized by boiling for 15 to 20 minutes. DO NOT disinfect with chemicals since they may destroy the distemper vaccine virus.
4. Do not transfer vaccine to other containers.
5. Protect the vaccine from excessive light and heat.
6. Use entire contents when first opened. Do not save any unused portion of the vaccine mixture for later use.
7. Do not spill or spatter the vaccine. Burn empty bottles, caps and all unused vaccine and accessories.
8. Do not dilute the vaccine or otherwise stretch the dosage.
9. Store at 2° to 7°C (35° to 45° F). Do not freeze.
10. This vaccine has been demonstrated to be safe and efficacious when used according to directions. As with any vaccine, it may not be effective when used in animals with significant levels of maternal immunity.
11. If anaphylactic reaction occurs, administer epinephrine.
Keep a record of vaccine type, quantity, serial number, expiration date, and place of purchase; the date and time of vaccination; the number, age, and location of the mink; names of operators performing the vaccination and any observed reactions.
This vaccine contains gentamicin, amphotericin B, and thimerosal as preservatives.
U.S. Veterinary License No. 165A
Schering-Plough Animal Health Corp., Omaha, Nebraska, 68103, USA
1 800 219-9286 (USA)
1 888 306-0069 (Canada)
Copyright © 1983, 2008
Schering-Plough Animal Health Corp.
All rights reserved.
*Reg. U.S. PAT & TM OFFICE
1 Vial Lyophilized Vaccine
1 Vial Liquid Bacterin-Toxoid
NAC No.: 10470443
556 MORRIS AVE., SUMMIT, NJ, 07901
|Technical Service (Companion Animal):||800-224-5318|
|Technical Service (Livestock):||800-211-3573|
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Distox-Plus information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2014 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2014-07-28