Collasate Postoperative DressingThis page contains information on Collasate Postoperative Dressing for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Collasate Postoperative Dressing Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Collasate Postoperative Dressing
- Direction and dosage information for Collasate Postoperative Dressing
Collasate Postoperative DressingThis treatment applies to the following species:
Medical Hydrolysate of Type I Collagen
Collasate® is a revolutionary scientific breakthrough in the management of surgical and trauma sites. An all-natural gel product, Collasate® interacts with the site to provide a moist healing environment. Collagen also provides a matrix for cellular colonization and tissue regeneration1.
Collasate® is the only product of its kind. Collasate® contains only a natural medical hydrolysate Type I collagen as its active ingredient. Unlike other collagen products, which are made from native collagen, Collasate® (hydrolyzed collagen) is a patented product available in amino acid form to be immediately utilized by the wound site for healing. Native collagen must be broken down into amino acids for healing to begin. Thus, accelerated healing time would be expected from a hydrolyzed collagen.
Collasate Postoperative Dressing Indications
Advanced Collasate® technology provides for topical use in the management of surgical sites, chronic and acute wounds and all partial and full-thickness wounds, including:
- surgical sites
- dental extractions and oral surgery
- pressure ulcers (Stages I-IV)
- venous stasis ulcers
- ulcers resulting from arterial insufficiency
- traumatic wounds
- superficial wounds
- first & second degree burns
- spays, neutering
- foot pad injuries
- hot spots
- diabetic ulcers
- lick granulomas
Precautions and Contraindications: Collasate® can be used on many types of animals, including mammals, birds and reptiles, with no known side effects. Collasate® is non-toxic and has no contraindications.
- protects the site and newly formed granulation tissue by the formation of a semi-occlusive barrier (film)
- reduces pain
- soothes and deodorizes
- promotes natural autolysis by rehydrating and softening necrotic tissue and eschar, encouraging autolytic debridement
- provides physiologically favorable environment that encourages healing
- absorbs exudate
- conforms to any wound site
- safe to use, non-toxic
- biocompatible, biodegradable
- controls the evaporation of fluid
- easy to handle and deliver
- does not require removal during dressing changes
- tissue adhesive properties2
- hemostatic qualities1
- reduces scarring3
- mechanical protection against physical and bacterial insult4
StorageStore at room temperature 15°-30°C (59°-86°F). Keep from freezing.
Extreme heat may affect viscosity but will not affect product performance.
PrecautionsKeep out of the reach of children and pets.
For Veterinary Use Only
1. Cleanse the site.
2. Apply Collasate® directly into the wound or incision and onto the surrounding area.
3. Allow gel to dry, then cover with a non-stick dressing (Telfa® pad). Gauze is recommended as the secondary dressing if removing debris from the site. Superficial wounds such as cuts and abrasions may not require a secondary dressing due to the film that Collasate® forms on the wound site after drying.
4. Remove dressing as needed (if secondary dressing sticks to wound, soak in warm water to ease removal) and repeat procedure.
Note to animal owners: If condition worsens or does not improve within 10-14 days, contact your veterinarian.
1Jain MK, Berg, kRA. Material properties of hard tissue substitutes, Man. In Prep.
2Cooper CW, et al. Surgical adhesives. Ann NY Acad Sci. 146(1): 214-224, 1968.
3Pachence, J. Collagen-based devices for soft tissue repair.
4Chvapil M and Van Winkle Jr. W. “Medical and surgical applications of collagen,” International Review of Connective Tissue Research 6:36, 1973.
CollaScent® is a registered trademark of The Hymed Group Corporation.
Manufactured For PRN Pharmacal, Employee-Owned, PENSACOLA, FL 32514
Presentation: 6 x 7 g tubes per box.
NAC No.: 10900203
8809 ELY ROAD, PENSACOLA, FL, 32514
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Collasate Postoperative Dressing information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2014 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2014-04-11